Let’s compare Sony A6600 camera with Canon 90D Camera. We have done a detailed specs comparison review of all the major features we have between those two camera. Now let’s start with Design and functionality of the camera.
1. Design and functionality
We all know that Sony A6600 camera have compact body and it is somehow possible that if you have a habit of holding a DSLR camera in your hand for years you may feel uncomfortable for the first 3 to 4 months.
- More compact and easy to carry: Design wise the Sony A6600 is an excellent solution for those who love to have a bit more compact system in their hand and it will easily fit into your jacket pocket. At the same time the Sony A6600 with kit lens will remain unnoticed in crowded situations..
- Weather sealing matters: Canon 90D is a weather sealed camera but the Sony A6600 camera isn’t. So, we have to consider these features too before buying a camera since the image quality is not always everything you want to have from a camera.
- Sony lenses are costly then of Canon: Lenses Compatibility – Canon 90D is a clear winner, we do get huge range of lenses and Canon EF-S lenses are bit affordable too when we compared them with Sony E-Mount lenses. So, overall getting Sony A6600 with 4 to 5 lenses (landscape, portrait, wide, Zoom and Travel) will be more costly compared to Canon 90D
- Image quality: Sony using 24MP CMOS sensor with an extended ISO range of upto 102400 and Canon 90D limited to 51200. So you will be getting one stop better low-light images with Sony A6600camera compared to Canon 90D.
- Image Stabilization System: Sony A6600 camera features built-in sensor shift image stabilization system that helps to eliminate camera shake and extremely essential if you are shooting 4K video with hands with and gimble support.
2. Canon DPAF vs Sony Hybrid
First few generations of Hybrid sensor were behind Canon DPAF system. But in recent tests we were surprised by the AF performance of Sony A6600 camera. It’s eye tracking is also very effective just like a Sony professional full-frame mirrorless camera.
We don’t want to jump into number of AF zones in Canon vs no of AF points in Sony A6600. Since, Specification wise Canon will sure win with a large margin.
At the end we have to wait for some real world test to find out the best AF performance between the both.
|Sensor||Canon 90D||Sony A6600|
|Resolution||Canon 32.5 MP||24 MP|
|AF points on sensor||5K+ AF Zones||425 + 425 (Phase + Contrast)|
3. ISO Sensitivity
Based on the ISO sensitivity matrix as I have told you earlier Sony will perform 1 stop better than of Canon 90D. At the same time Canon pixel density is high and they are still on CMOS platform, to manage increasing pixel density it always important to upscale their technology.
SDue to the presence of Image stabilization system Sony A6400 camera become a better tool for low-light work, you can now slow down your shutter speed upto 3 stops down without any issue. So, you will be getting more better shot with less noise in Sony A6600 camera compared to Canon 90D.
Based on the low-light performance specification scale Sony is a clear winner.
|ISO (Still)||Canon 90D||Sony A6600|
4. Continuous Shooting and AF sensitivity
The AF sensitivity range of Sony AA6600 camera is more compared to Canon and hence working in low-light situation will become easier with Sony A6600.
Undoubtedly Canon have faster image processor, that’s why despite having 32.5MP sensor you are getting the same continuous shooting speed as of Sony A6600 camera.
5. Image Stabilization in Sony A6600
Sony A6600 camera features built-in image stabilization system which work upto 5 stops of image stabilization.Which helps a lot while working in lowlight condition and help in while recording high quality 4K video footage. Canon 90D doesn’t have built-in sensor shift IS so you need a hand gimble while recording high quality 4K videos.
|Canon 90D||Sony A6600|
|AF Sensitivity||Upto – 3EV||Upto – 5EV|
|Continuous Shooting||11 FPS with AF||11 FPS with AF|
6. Video capabilities
Best camera for recording videos is ofcourse Sony A6600 camera. The camera does full sensor readout and records 6K video.
Canon 90D carry inferior 4K video specs compared to Sony A6600 camera. The Canon 90D features 4k Uncropped/Cropped 29.97 fps. At uncropped mode Canon 90D will be using pixel skipping algorithm so if you are a causal editor than Canon 90D is a perfect camera for you. If you do heavy editing work and bring out details from shadows than you should go with Sony A6600 camera. At cropped mode Canon 90D will be doing full pixel readout but for smaller sensor area.
|Canon 90D||Sony A6600|
|4K Mode||4K (3840 x 2160) Uncropped/Cropped 29.97 fps||UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 24p/25p/29.97p [60 to 100 Mb/s]|
|Full HD Mode||Full HD (1920 x 1080) 119.88 fps
HD (1280 x 720) 59.94 fps
HDR (1920 x 1080) 29.97 fps
|Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 100p/120p [60 to 100 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 24p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p [50 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 50p/59.94p [25 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 25p/29.97p [16 Mb/s]
|Recording Limit||Max duration 29min 59sec, Max file size 4GB (If file size
exceeds 4GB a new file will be created automatically)
|External Audio Support||Yes||Yes|
Canon 90D camera features var-angle display screen which is highly usable when compared with a fully tilting screen. With Sony A6600 its almost impossible to use Camera-Mount Shotgun Microphone.
|Canon 90D||Sony A6600|
|Viewfinder||Optical||Electronic EVF with 2.3M dots.|
|Touch screen vari angle 7.7cm (3.0″) 3:2 Clear View II
TFT, approx. 1040K dots
8. Weight and Dimension
Let’s take a look
|Dimension||140.7 x 104.8 x 76.8 mm||120 x 66.9 x 59.7 mm|
|701 g||403 g|
9. Which Camera you Should Buy Canon 90D or Sony A6600
Based on overall spec comparison Sony A6600 camera looks bit more better than the Canon 90D, specifically in the video recording part. But we have to also accept the fact that Canon 90D is one of the most advance APS-C DSLR camera present to date. The camera features massive sensor resolution and a very powerful image processing unit. If you are a you-tuber than for sure the display of the camera is more user friendly compared to Sony A6600 for vlogging purpose. At the same time with bright aperture lenses such as sigma 18-35mm F1.8 or Canon nifty-fifty Canon 90D will perform amazingly well.
Still shooters: For low light still shooters I will recommend Sony A6600, it features better ISO range and built-in IS. For sports, portrait and Landscape you should go with Canon 90D.
Video: If you do heavy editing with your videos, recovering shadow details and all that then you should go with Sony A6600. For casual editors and vloggers I recommend Canon 90D.
Canon 90D Available for Pre-order / Buy
Get Canon 90D Camera from B&H and Amazon.com
Buy Sony A6600 Camera from B&H and Amazon.com